Wednesday, January 18, 2006

If cars were like computers

HelpLine: "General Motors technical support, how can I help you?"
Customer: "Hi, I just bought my first car, and I chose your car
because it has automatic transmission, cruise control, power
steering, power brakes, and power door locks."
HelpLine: "Thanks for buying our car. How can I help you?"
Customer: "How do I work it?"
HelpLine: "Do you know how to drive?"
Customer: "Do I know how to what?"
HelpLine: "Do you know how to drive?"
Customer: "I'm not a technical person. I just want to go places.
My car ran fine for a week and now it won't go anywhere."
HelpLine: "Is the gas tank empty?"
Customer: "Huh? Is what who?"
HelpLine: "There's a little gauge on the front panel with a
needle and markings from 'E' to 'F'. Where is the needle
pointing?"
Customer: "It's pointing to 'E'. What does that mean?"
HelpLine: "It means you have to visit a gasoline vendor and
purchase some more gasoline. You can install it yourself or pay
the vendor to install it for you."
Customer: "What? I have to keep buying more components? I want a car that comes with everything built in."
HelpLine: "I'm going to hang up on you now."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen! My relationship with my extended family would be so much better if they'd stop treating the computer like it's a kitchen appliance. I can only feign ignorance and direct them to Jason so many times.

Argh.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home