Tuesday, January 03, 2006

I'm not a violent person

In fact, if at all possible I will avoid a fight like a cliche about some widespread sudden and destructive outbreak of illness. That's essentially why I started a martial art, so that I could intimidate people with my hugeness and mad skills in an effort to not get involved in a physical battle. Unfortunately when in class, I am forced by the master to engage in said battles with people twice my size. This has been the main impetus behind both my ice bag and economy size ibuprofen purchases. But tonight was particularly enjoyable for me, mainly because it boosted my self esteem just a smidgen. I was teamed up with a guy who more or less looked like The Rock. I shat myself briefly, but noticed his white Gi (training uniform), which meant he was new. Maybe I had a chance! Then he told me he was currently a Navy SEAL and taught Wing Chun close-quarter fighting. Ok back to the shit in pants. But then he also said that although his training was extensive, it is meant to be used mostly while standing up, and that once he hits the ground he's not sure what to do. My response was "Howbout you just squeeze their head with your 40 inch biceps?" But then my thoughts went back to maybe having a chance...if I could just get him to the ground before he clobbers me! So it began, we shook hands and started in a standing position facing each other. It took me about 2 seconds to figure out I needed to take him by surprise, so I charged him, ducked my head, hooked his leg and sweeped him to the floor. I think he was expecting to stay standing a bit longer. Once I got him on the ground he basically used brute strength to overpower me for a good 3-4 minutes. The only problem was he didn't know what he was doing, so I just used defensive maneuvers until I could figure out how the hell to handle him. He actually picked me up in order to flip me, got on top of me and put me in a really shitty headlock, which I knew was the end for him! I spun out using this, got my legs around him, grabbed his left arm, and Armbar, done. Granted I had a little help from my master telling me which moves I should use based on my positioning, but shit it worked like charm. I'm finally a firm believer that position and leverage can beat sheer strength. Although kudos to him, cuz although he didn't win, I'm lookin at some decent bruises and a fresh ice pack tonight. All in a days work, I guess.

2 Comments:

Blogger xxxxx said...

coool! Well done.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Adam J said...

Thank you sir. I can only hope to one day be as masterful as you.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home