Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I guess you can't blame 'em

I've found a new appreciation for people that try to learn the English language. We think it's so easy compared to other languages like Chinese and German, but consider what this must look like to someone who doesn't know better if I said this...

I used to be a farmer, where I would produce produce. And to help with planting,
I taught my sow to sow. It wasn’t a great sow, but it could lead if it would get
the lead out. Well I hurt myself one day and was offered a bandage. I did not
object to this object, and wound it around the wound. I had to go to the hospital,
but I don’t like them because they always subject the subject to a series of tests.
After a number of injections my leg got number. Later, I found out that my
insurance was invalid because I was an invalid. I got another job as a sewer,
but while walking to work fell down the sewer. It just wasn’t fair, I wanted to
go to the fair! Well, I was well taken care of by my doctor, so I thought that
since there’s no time like the present, it was time to present my present to him.
It was a kite, but the wind was too strong to wind it properly. It began to tear,
and I shed a small tear.
Do you see what I’m saying? How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see where you are going with this. Especially if you are Polish you have to polish your english skills.

3:40 PM  
Blogger kinkyrhombus said...

i think the same argument of words with duality exist in all languages. in chinese, multiple words are pronounced the same with the same tone but are written differently- meaning that conversationally you can be understood (but only when you hear the words before and after the ambiguous one), but writing could result in a disparate understanding if you're not clued in with the words.

to further complicate things, certain word symbols modifty their meaning when you change the particular root radical though these are never illuminated in the pronounciation. as a rudimentary example (i can't think of tougher ones off the top of my head), let's say i went on a date with "pingpongchingchong." in writing, i can specify the sex of "ppcc" by replacing the human radical on the left side of the symbol for "him/her" with the male or female radical. but in speaking it will all be pronounced "ta." so "pingpongchingchong" might be a girl if you think i'm hetero, but a guy if you think i'm gay, and if you had questions of my sexual propensity, you still wouldn't know the answer.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home