Thursday, November 17, 2005

Verizon is normally good, but this week they sucked balls

So before I leave town, I felt the need to share what happened to me on my lunch break today.
Over the last couple days, I've been having a battle with Verizon Wireless because my current phone broke, and I wanted to redirect my number to another flip phone that I borrowed from a friend (thanks J). Well, recently the cockmunchers at Verizon corporate decided to implement a $20 transfer fee in order to redirect the number to another phone. This takes them about 5 minutes to do, so essentially I'm paying some college dropout asstwit $240/hour to do the work of a mildly intelligent stapler. So after arguing on the phone with the store near my house, then physically going to that store and arguing with several workers and managers and getting nowhere, I told them I was leaving and not coming back. And I haven't, because today over lunch I tried a different Verizon store (the one in Mission Valley in case anyone has the same problem), where I got the same runaround for a good half hour. The first woman I got was a retard, in fact I think she was literally drooling in between sentences. So she referred me to some other guy who then referred me to the manager who was busy and took 10 minutes to come out from the back. When he did, I explained to him what I wanted to do, and that I didn't see the need for the fee. He gave me the manager's handbook speech about policy and procedure, and politely said he couldn't help me. So then I said that I just wanted to transfer the phone for a couple weeks until I give them MORE business by buying the RAZR when it comes out soon. He said it was difficult because the computer wouldn't let him enter it without charging the $20, so I said "how about you just enter in that I paid the $20" but then he said the register accounting would be off at the end of the day, blah blah blah bullshit bullshit bullshit. So after going back and forth, eventually I said "I pay my bill automatically with my credit card every month, so how bout you give me a $20 credit on my bill and I'll "pay" the fee right now, then when I get a survey asking me how my experience was here, I'll give you all glowing remarks and say you were the most helpful and understanding manager EVER." He was like "Uhhh, wellll, let me check something.." After fidgeting with the computer and doing what I can only imagine was calculating his astonishingly low take-home pay, and perhaps realizing it might be worth the small effort to keep a customer happy, he said, "I'll tell you what I can do this time...I suppose we can help you because of your situation, and give you a credit in this one-time special circumstance". At that point I felt triumphant...and I also felt like telling him I could do his job with one brain tied behind my back, but 1) that wouldve been rude and 2) sort of doesn't make any sense. So I didn't. I politely thanked him for being so understanding and shook his hand, even though silently I was cursing his greasy hair and ugly tie. Anyway I got the credit and that's all that matters. Bastards. So there's today's lesson in perseverance and negotiation. Take it home with you and study, it will be on tomorrow's quiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home