Friday, December 30, 2005

Lesson #10 Staying up until 9am hurts my skull

So around 1am on the 26th (approximately the same time I was going to bed) my grandmother had unexplainable chest pains, so we brought her to the hospital for testing. After sitting in the hospital all night and all morning, we made sure she was fine, all tests were normal, and it was most likely due to beta-blocker withdrawal from her forgetting to take several doses of her heart medications. Funny thing about those heart pills...you have to take them in order for them to work. But all is well, and she's back home now. I got to bed at around 9:30am, but got up an hour later to see my dad who was good enough to drive 4 hours up to see me since I won't be around for new years. We hung out for the afternoon, had a good meal, I played really shitty billiards, and then he drove back that same day. I got about another hour nap in that evening, and got to bed around midnight after packing all my shit. I then got up at 3:45am to make my flight back to SD, where upon my connecting flight in Detroit ( of all places) was delayed THREE HOURS because the damn stewardess...oh I'm sorry, flight attendant, was sick. I guess you can't have a flight without at least 2 "attendants". I offered to take her place just so we could get the hell out of Detroit. But apparently saying "hello", "goodbye", talking through a PA, doing a seatbelt demonstration, and handing out Diet Coke is a highly trained set of qualifications which not just any person can attempt without proper training and credentials. So there I sat until they were able to find a replacement beeotch. We finally get to board several hours later, where upon I get to lucky seat number 16A and find out I'm sitting next to, are you ready?....a 2 year old girl...with Down Syndrome. Now, nothing against the Down folks, they're perfectly capable people and darn good actors on 80's family dramas. But the last thing I needed on a 4 hour flight was a kicking, squirming girl whose father refused to take the middle seat and put her near the aisle...according to him, he needed the leg room of the aisle. I told him that was fine, but that I was a violent sleeper, and couldn't be held responsible if I turned in my sleep and accidentally duct taped the girls mouth, hands and feet. I'm sorry, do I sound bitter? Normally I love kids, but on 5 hours sleep in 2 days, I wasn't exactly in paddy cake mode. At least the weather was awesome when I got back to SD.
-
-



I know how ya feel, bunny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home