Monday, August 29, 2005

I'm busy dammit!

Sorry to everyone who keeps bugging me to get more entries up on this thing. I admit I've fallen behind by a few entries, but rest assured that I will get them up within the next couple days. In the meantime, I just want to ask you all if you experience the same phenomenon that I do...Do you ever find yourself disliking, or even hating, someone who you don't even know? Someone you've never spoken to but for whatever reason they just annoy you? Well I have people like that. One of them is at the gym. It's this woman on the stairclimber. She's ALWAYS there. I don't know why I hate her, but every time I'm at the gym, she's on that f-ing climber from the second I walk in to the second I leave. And it seems like no matter what time I go, she's there, climbing endless imaginary stairs to nowhere. Maybe it's her ugly gray spandex, or her silly headphones that make her look like a giant bug. Or the fact that her feet might be permanently glued to the machine. But I always see her, and I always hate her. I don't know her, never talked to her...she could be a wonderfully delightful woman for all I know. But she could also beat her puppy as part of her morning routine. I'll never know because I'm too busy hating her to ever stop to find out if she's worth hating. Same goes for these people at work. Although I love my big corner office, I've found an inconvenience in my daily trip up to the 6th floor. And that would be riding the elevator with 4 other people, who respectively need to get off at floors 2, 3, 4, and 5. And generally the same 4 people who I've christened "Fat guy", "legs", "frizzy hair", and "halitosis". Ugh. Arriving to my office with a headache isn't the most ideal way to start the day. But then I look to the ocean and voila! All my troubles melt away. Well, not all. But at least my hatred for the strangers goes away for a while.
So here's the lesson, ladies and gentlemen: Always make an effort to talk to people. At the very worst, they will suck and you can continue not liking them. But who knows, they may surprise you. Turns out Fat Guy is pretty funny, and his favorite color is red. (that's just the ice breaker question I tend to ask people when there's awkward silence). Feel free to submit your own personal stranger hatreds. I can't be the only one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home