Saturday, August 13, 2005

Pride Weekend

Last weekend was pride weekend here, which if you don't live here, you wouldn't know that it's a pretty huge event in San Diego. Tons of people, tons of food, and tons of fun. My company had a booth there as well, giving out various pieces of information, pamphlets, candy, condoms, lube, and even highlighters (I don't know why...I think we had a surplus at the office). I worked our booth a while, worked the crowd a while...you know me, I'm a true playa, ate some kick ass funnel cake with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and strawberries. Man it was good. There were hundreds of booths, live bands and music, and even some crazy leather S&M tent where people were being happily stabbed with pins and needles. Ouch. There was also that weird bungee thing that whips you up into the air and lets you bounce up and down 20 feet off the ground. Don't know why it was there, besides it looks like it hurts your nuts like hell. Oh wait, now I know why. The most surprising booth I'd say was the Chronic Candy booth, selling 3 different lollipops that supposedly tasted like 3 different kinds of marijuana. I was quite skeptical that they actually did, so I bought one from the girl working the booth under the condition that if they didn't, she would give me a full refund and i would give her my wet lollipop. Oh that sounded bad. But alas, the candy was quite accurate, although it gave me a sick stomach after a while. I don't think that's a candy that's supposed to be made. My friend Stacie was working the NOW booth, where she is a local chapter VP, and my friend Matthew was working the beer garden ticket booth, where I was unsuccessful in getting free drink tickets, even after bribing him with dozens of condoms and lube from my company's booth. He did put them all into the sombrero he was wearing, though. I'd have to say that my favorite part was the t-shirts people were wearing. Hillarious. I can't really remember most of them, but just picture seeing a shirt with messages on them that make you laugh. I took a pic of one booth that was selling some. I didn't take too many pics though, cuz there were so many people around I felt awkward snapping photos, cuz every time I took one people would look at me as if I was taking a picture of them. Some gave weird looks, but most didn't care. Some even struck a pose in full exhibitionist style. The same day, Matthew introduced me to Ashley Matte, a most awesome amazing excellent local singer that plays every weekend at the bar right around the corner from me. I’m not sure if she’s a lesbian, but she sure has a lot of lesbian fans. Or at least the shirts reading "Dykes against Dubya" and "Got Strap-on?" gave me that impression. And now she has me, cuz I love her. She brings in a big local crowd, and the day I saw her the audience was so loud they had my ears ringing. She was so good I bought her CD on the spot, and have made several copies for people already. I hope she makes it big one day, she’s great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home