Sunday, January 23, 2005

Buick Invitational at Torrey Pines

Ahhh, my very first PGA tour event, and it just so happens to be in January. Go figure. But what great fun. Walked around for 6 hours, but what else would you expect at a golf event? It actually got kind of chilly at one point during the day (yes, it occasionally does get colder than 70 in San Diego), so I bought myself a damn nice golf jacket with Torrey Pines and Buick Invitational stitched into the fabric. It was also very cool to see Tiger Woods, especially when he walked right in front of me. But man, that guy's more serious than a chemical burn. We watched him tee off several times, and when he shanked a tee shot left and into the rough, he started swearing outloud and dug his club into the ground. He definitely wasnt to be messed with at that point. But on the next hole, we happened to be standing right next to the green when he chipped right into the hole from the bunker 20 feet away...that put a big smile on Tiger's face...as did eventually winning the tournament.
I also ran into Vijay Singh, almost literally. We were walking around the golf paths after play had ended for the day, and I wasnt looking straight ahead and almost walked right into, who was coming from the other direction. For those of you who don't follow golf, you could probably care less, but for me, walking straight into Vijay Singh was a very excellent part of my day. He's quite tall, and was walking by himself with no security or anything. I actually didnt think it was him at first, then when I realized it was, I almost blurted out something stupid and trite along the lines of "way to play today, buddy" accompanied by a small pat on the back. However, my brain worked quickly that day, and I thought to myself, "what if he played like shit today? he's gonna think I'm an asshole". As it turns out, Vijay shit the bed on that days round, and I was later happy that I said nothing congratulatory to him at the time. I may have been hurt.
But I have to say, the most fun I had wasnt being around Tiger or almost insulting Vijay, it was watching John Daly tee off. If you golf, you know the sheer impossibility for any of us to hit the ball 300+ yards off the tee. To see Daly do it even once is a sight to see, that's for sure. The largest crowd at the whole tournement, besides the insane people following Tiger like a bunch of puppies, was the one watching Daly tee off. Boy, if you think the camera adds 10 pounds, it doesnt. Daly really is a fat bastard. But it obviously works to his advantage. All in all, it was a great day for mid January.
And if you're wondering why I have no pics of this wonderful day, it's because the PGA has more restrictions than a rehab clinic and allowed no cameras, cell phones, purses, bags, drinks, arms, legs, or clothes into the event. But rest assured, the pictures in my head are really good.
Sorry to anyone back on the east coast reading this shortly before/after you dig yourselves out of a 4 foot snowdrift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home